Monday, December 31, 2012

What Is This Awesome Mystery? Happy 2013!

As 2012 comes to an end this evening at midnight and 2013 dawns, I thought it appropriate to offer a few words concerning perspective.  Words about what is the really important one thing in life - whatever the season of whatever year. 

The few words concerning perspective do not come from me this day but rather from an acquaintance of mine. His name in history has come down to us as Symeon the New Theologian.  Symeon was a monastic monk and  priest who was revered, ridiculed, and exiled.  He was hailed at times as an orthodox Christian theologian par excellence, as well as accused of being an excessive radical and heretic.

I find that sometimes I am on the end of such labels.

Nonetheless, my friend Symeon whether hailed or ridiculed, was passionate about the reality of one's personal experience of God.  He penned many words throughout his life but these which follow are ones that strike in me emotions, sensations, soul stirrings which I find hard to articulate.  Words which help put in perspective for me the one thing:  Knowing God.      

As you end your day this evening and awaken to another, please allow the words of my friend Symeon the New Theologian to reverberate in your soul......


"What is this awesome mystery
that is taking place inside me?
I can find no words to express it;
my poor hand is unable to capture it
in describing the praise and glory that belong
to the One who is above all praise,
and who transcends every word.....
My intellect sees what has happened,
but it cannot explain it.
It can see and wishes to explain,
but can find no words to suffice;
for what it sees is invisible and entirely formless,
simple, completely uncompounded,
unbounded in its awesome greatness.
What I have seen is the totality recapitulated as one,
received not in essence but by participation.
Just as if you lit a flame from a flame,
it is the whole flame you receive."
                                     
                          -- St. Symeon the New Theologian (949 - 1022)

Peace for real in 2013,
Dennis    

No comments:

Post a Comment