Thursday, November 1, 2012

Peace!.....and a Full Stomach

I visited a local soup kitchen in my neck of the woods today.  I was anxious to meet and talk to some of the guests who frequent the place, get to know them and see how I might help.  The problem was it wasn't open today, at least not for lunch.

I expected the soup kitchen would be a store front, part of of a strip mall, spacious to accommodate all the poor I see around town who most-likely would be in need of a warm meal especially as the temperatures begin to drop this time of year.  Instead a found a stand alone very small house.  I peered into the window and saw boxes of clothes and a few tables and chairs in a not to well kept environment.  Maybe 10-12 people could fit inside?  I'm not sure.  The sign on the door said it was open for lunch Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; and open for dinner Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Bless the folks who run this place.  The sign also said they get no government help (for any of you who are concerned about your tax dollars).

So, folks in need are able to receive one meal a day five days a week.  I'm not sure what they do on the weekends.  Maybe fast?  Maybe there's another soup kitchen in the area I'm not aware of? 

I'll be checking - and I'll keep you posted.  Maybe there's something we could do to help?  Please let me know if you'd be interested.  Comment below or drop me a message on FB.

Peace and a full stomach!
Dennis

2 comments: