Saturday, November 10, 2012

"Friends Who Stick Closer than Brothers"

Thursday I was returning from a job interview and had made arrangements to meet my friend George for a cheap lunch (remember I'm not working) at a little neighborhood diner.  When I got there George was sitting at a table with "Mac" another gentleman I know who was actually on my caseload several years ago in a residential substance abuse program.  I had been his counselor for a time and praise God he has been "clean" for many years!  It was good to see him and catch up.  He didn't know I had lost my job and was sorry to hear it.

So the three of us broke bread together as I secretly hoped that my friend George might pick up the tab for my lunch due to my strained financial circumstances.  Mac finished eating before George and me and stated he needed to split.  We exchanged goodbyes and Mac went his way.  As George and I continued to talk, the waitress came to our table and said she just wanted to let me know that Mac paid my lunch tab!     

I had such a warmness and joy fill my soul.  My lunch tab wasn't much but that wasn't the point.  It was that a man who had struggled with addiction for years; someone that I hadn't talked with for some time, out of the graciousness of his heart, knowing my circumstances felt moved to buy me lunch!  It just doesn't get any better than that, right?

But then yesterday another friend and colleague of mine (Jim, a PhD from Yale) who I had worked with for almost twelve years and who was on vacation when I got "canned" decided to get together for lunch so I could explain all that happened in my "canning."

Throughout my explanation of the why and how of my dismissal he sat quietly and intently, listening to my every word, empathizing with what I felt occurred in this painful process.  When I had finished he explained to me with emotion, tearing up on at least two occasions, how my departure has left a huge hole in the programs area of the organization and how he cannot remember when someone leaving has had such a profound impact on both staff and the residents I served.  He said I have left a powerful legacy that will last.  I was touched by his kind and heart-felt words.

Then he said he wanted me to know that if I find myself in a tough situation and in need of "a little financial help" he would be honored to assist.  That's when I almost started to tear up.

I know I tend to be a softy, but I gotta tell ya the last few days have been pretty emotional for me.  You know it says something in the book of  Proverbs about having friends who stick closer than brothers.  I am so blessed to say I got a few of 'em!! 

Peace for real,
Dennis  

2 comments: